St Joan’s provides the correct blend of academic challenge, spiritual development and enrichment Headteacher
Did you know?
23%
A*A at GCSE

Key Stage 4

As students begin Year 10, they start a new phase of learning which, for most, continues until they reach the end of their studies at Key Stage 5 and then continue their studies at University.  

The curriculum in KS4 is designed in three learning pillars to ensure there is breadth and depth in their experience and will facilitate students to develop as well rounded individuals, with high quality qualifications, ready to progress onto their next stage of learning upon completion of their GCSE examinations.

The first Curriculum Pillar is a core component for all KS4 students and consists of the following GCSE subjects:  Religious Education; English; English Literature; Mathematics; and Science (double award) providing a core of 6 GCSE qualifications.

To add breadth and balance to their curriculum pupils will select four further GCSE subjects for study. Two subjects are selected from Curriculum Pillar 2 and their final two subjects from Curriculum Pillar 3.

Curriculum Pillar 2 (students select two subjects):

Triple Science, French, Italian, Spanish, Geography, History.

Curriculum Pillar 3: (students select two subjects):

Art & Design; Childcare Development; Computing; Drama; Geography; History; Music; Physical Education, Product Design.

All pupils will also continue to have dedicated curriculum time to support their personal health and well-being and their personal, social, spiritual and moral development through PSHEE & Physical Education lessons supported by independent Careers Information and Advice Guidance (CIAG).

Did you know?
23%
A*A at GCSE