Religious Education

Religious Education

1. Curriculum leader RE – Mrs L Gammage

2. Teachers of RE – Mr Mutugi, Mrs Petrie,  Miss Simon, Miss Hope, Miss Gaughan, Miss Cooper, Mrs Toolan

Religious Education at Key Stage 3

Key Stage three RE follows the Westminster Diocese Programme of Learning supported by a variety of resources including “The Way”, “The Truth”, “The Life” and “This is RE!” text books, powerpoints and a wide range of visual and active learning materials.

Every half term an assessment task is given to pupils based on the unit. A level is awarded and recorded to track the progress of the pupil. As each level is awarded the pupils are given targets to help them understand why they gained the level and how to get to the next.

KS3 Programmes of Learning Overview

Year 7

• Unit 1 - What is belief?

• Unit 2 - The Word of God

• Unit 3 - The Sacraments

• Unit 4 - Prayer and the Mass

• Unit 5 - Leadership in the Church

• Unit 6 -Art and Media

Year 8

• Unit 1 - Creation

• Unit 2 - Covenant and Judaism

• Unit 3 - The Prophetic Role of the Church

• Unit 4 - The Paschal Mystery

• Unit 5 - The Early Church

• Unit 6 - Art and Media

Year 9

• Unit 1 - Jesus of the Gospel

• Unit 2 - The Church in Britain

• Unit 3 - Worship and Celebration

• Unit 4 - Conscience

• Unit 5 -Islam

Religious Education at Key Stage 4

Students follow the Edexcel GCSE Religious Studies course: Unit 3 Religion and Life based on a study of Catholic Christianity and Unit Christianity with one other World faith. Students complete two separate papers in RE. Both papers are completed at the end of year 11. Papers for both papers are an hour and half in length.

KS4 Programmes of Learning Overview

• Introduction to GCSE Course

• Rights and Responsibilities

• Environment and medical issues

• Peace and conflict

• Crime and punishment

• Believing in God

• Religion and Community Cohesion

• Matters of life and death

• Marriage and Family

Students are assessed at the end of each module. Students are awarded a level and recorded to track the progress of the pupil. As each level is awarded the pupils are given targets to help them understand why they gained the level and how to get to the next. Further details can be found at www.edexcel.org.uk

Religious Education at Key Stage 5

AS/ A2 Philosophy and Ethics - Students follow the AQA AS/A2 course in Philosophy and Ethics Units Syllabus 2060. RSS01, RSS03, RST3A and RST4A). A copy of the course specification can be found on www.aqa.org.uk

Sixth Form RE -ARC (Active Roman Catholics)

Religious Education in the Sixth Form takes place in the context of a life-long search for meaning. The distinctiveness of this stage of the process arises from the particular needs, qualities, abilities and challenges shared by all 16 to 19 year olds. The Sixth Form R.E. programme sustains and enriches the school’s Christian ethos centred in the Roman Catholic understanding and celebration of the special dignity of each person who, through the power of the Spirit, shares in the life of God.

All students in the Sixth Form have one fifty minute lesson once a week. Students work on a carousel system being taught by a variety of teachers, all of whom are experienced specialists.

RE Department Information